Friday, April 5, 2013

Campaigning at LHS!

          Last December, I hung a banner in the cafeteria that students were able to sign during White Ribbon Week (national disability awareness week) pledging to stop using the word "retarded" derogatorily. My teacher and I got the idea from the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign, but we had no way to print the free banner, so I made my own. There were many signatures, and I heard students talking about it during some of my classes. Even if the word is not completely taken out of all students' vocabulary, I believe that through the pledge, I definitely created an awareness which was not present before. Baby steps!
The whole pledge

It hung in the cafeteria for all students to see!



The words were from Spread the Word to End the Word.
You can visit the site at www.r-word.org

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It's so neat that you heard others talking about this. Communication is key! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great campaign! I sure hope that people learn to stop using that word! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete